Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread
A delicious alternative to classic banana bread, this vegan version jazzes things up with the addition of antioxidant rich blueberries. Similar to fruitcake in density, this slightly-sweet bread is ideal for breakfast or dessert (and doesn’t carry the negative stigma attached to fruitcake!). To further customize the recipe, toss in some chopped nuts or chocolate chips, or use almond extract instead of vanilla. This recipe is so easy that even complete novices in the kitchen have nothing to fear. So don your aprons, switch on a Julia Child mentality and get ready to bake!
Here’s what’s inside:
3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 mashed bananas
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cups almond milk
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
2 tsp vanilla extract
Here’s how to make it:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray.
2) Combine the dry ingredients (whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, ground flaxseeds) in a large bowl
3) Add the oil, milk, mashed bananas and vanilla and stir to combine
4) Gently fold in blueberries and spread batter in prepared pan
5) Bake for about 60-70 minutes, checking readiness by inserting a knife in the center
Done! Phew! Enjoy the sensational aroma of freshly-baked bread while it cools. Then, enjoy the scrumptious fruits of your labor! Another benefit to this bread is that it keeps well for long periods of time in the freezer. So if you don’t feel like sharing, or you and your roommate can’t seem to finish it off in a few days, stick it in the freezer for later.
Marisa graduated in 2011 with a BA in Spanish Language and Literature from CU and then moved to Los Angeles to pursue further education in Journalism and Media Studies at UCLA. She loves to travel, cooking, seeing movies and of course, writing!