The moment is here! You have finally successfully passed your driving test or DMV permit test, so you can take a deep breath and enjoy that feeling. Still, that doesn’t mean that your journey has ended, on the contrary.
There are some tasks that must be completed before you start driving your car. You’ve done the toughest part, now the second step must be taken and it’s called – registering your vehicle. You cannot hit the road without it.
It is widely known that every vehicle that is used on public roads must be registered. You have become the owner of your automobile so it’s your duty to take care of it. So what should you do first? Let’s take a look together!
Steps To Take To Register A Vehicle
How Does It Work?
Depending on the country you live in, you first must register a car you either utilize or own with your country’s DMV or transportation company. These are the most common cases that require registration:
- When you purchase a brand: new vehicle: If it is bought via a dealership, then frequently they handle the registration, as well as the title for you. On the other hand, if you have acquired it from a private vendor, then you will have to get the job done.
- If you go to another country/state: Unless you are either part of the military or a student, you will have to register the car as soon as you move to another place. Check out American Auto Shipping to see the cheapest options when moving your car to another country.
- Renewal: This highly depends on the state you live in. Approximately, every couple of years, the registration has to be renewed. Of course, we cannot be too precise about it, so make sure to contact the law corporation to get more info.
As soon as you register your automobile, you will get a license plate for it, along with a registration card. In some countries, you can also receive a registration sticker that should be embedded in your car’s window or license plate.
Once you resume your registration, you will again receive a brand-new sticker (of course if your state is prone to issuing them), as well as the registration card. Depending on the law, you will probably be obligated to keep the card with you even when you’re driving.
An Online Option
One of the most efficient ways to register your car is to do it online. Experienced service providers at Quick Auto Tags claim that this is a very convenient way to do this. Now, a lot of online services allow you to complete the entire process online, however, there are those that still require you to fill out some documents, and then print them.
Usually, they do this because they want to speed up the process. If you choose a corporation that allows you to do everything online, they will send you the registration and plates to reduce the processing time.
As we stated, there are still some states that need to see you face-to-face in order to complete every single step. So what are your obligations when it comes to online registration?
- Collect all the paperwork regarding the purchase of your car
- Locate the registration section on the website
- Fill out the application by providing the information from your papers
- Send the application as well as money
Anything Else You Need To Know?
So if you do not obey the law when it comes to car registration, you may face some serious fines. One of the most common ones is fees for driving a vehicle with an outdated registration. That’s if the policeman pulls you over. If that occurs, he is going to ask for your registration. Now, if it’s out of date, you will probably receive a ticket for it. If the system notices that you haven’t renewed the registration on time, they will send you a ticket in your mail.
Besides fees, you could also face other punishments that can further complicate your driving. For instance, if you forget to register your vehicle, it is going to lead to bigger insurance rates, because the insurance corporations are going to perceive you as an irresponsible and riskier person. More importantly, they can even take your care away, which means more money to pay to get it back. That’s why it is of great importance to inform yourself when it comes to car registration to avoid these unpleasant occurrences.
Just because you’ve purchased a brand-new car, it doesn’t mean that there are no additional obligations. As you can see vehicle registration is a must and something that has to be done if you want to comfortably enjoy your new automobile. Follow these instructions to make sure you’ve done everything properly.