Here’s Why Your Garden Needs Worm Castings
Nature has got it all. It is no secret by now that almost all natural things have values beyond what their artificial substitutes can offer. When it comes to gardening we can see this clearly. Worm castings are one of the very effective methods of fertilizing soil. It is extremely effective, and it helps accelerate plant growth, among other benefits. You may be wondering what this method is, but we have you covered. Here is everything you need to know about worm castings.
What is Worm Casting?
Well, there is no nice way to put this but basically, worm castings are the excrement that comes from earthworms. This excrement acts as an organic fertilizer for the soil, or rather as a natural soil supplement. So basically worms eat the compost in the soil and then produce fertilizers in the form of poop! Cool right? Let’s dive into the benefits, shall we….
What Does Worm Casting do to Plants?
- It accelerates the germination process. Who wouldn’t want that in their garden? It also helps the plant grow more sprouts.
- We are all a bit rusty when it comes to first grade science, but still, we remember how important roots are to a plant, they pump food and water. Our pals here make roots stronger and healthier.
- Not only humans need air, so does the soil. Castings are not dirt-like, which means there is space between their particles and those of the soil. This allows air to penetrate the soil and that helps the plant grow better.
- Castings also help in the process of water retention. They actually help farmers to use almost 50 to 75 % less water. This will give us a chance to preserve our water while planting more and helping the environment! Speaking of our beloved environment, did you know that worm castings act as a natural soil supplement, and they are totally chemical-free? Yes, they are! That means they can give us completely organic produce.
- As if adding good benefits to the soil is not enough, worm castings also absorb bad material from the soil. They are capable of absorbing some heavy metals like lead and copper.
- Too much of a good thing turns into a curse? We hear you, but that is not the case with worm castings. Unlike other fertilizers, worm castings don’t produce too much nitrogen, and they will not end up burning your plant roots.
- You can never have too much yield. Worm castings will help you increase your crop’s yield by 25% now what you have to do is think about how you will sell them!
How Can We Make it?
There are many ways to make worm castings, here are the most popular methods:
In a large bin add composting material- you can use a huge barrel. Then add the worms and leave them for a few days, and then filter the material you have at hand. You will find that the soil has material that is different in shape and size, and this depends on the compost you added in the beginning.
You place the worms in a container with food and bedding. Then add the same food at the same time each day to make sure the nutrients are the same and consistent. After 2 weeks, filter the soil, and here you go- you have pure worm castings that are ready to use.
How to Use it
The ways in which you can use them are quite simple, there are actually 3 ways:
Mix them with the Soil
Use one part of castings to 2 to 4 parts of the soil and mix them altogether if you are starting out.
Spread Them Over
With a dry spreader, spread all the amount you have over the area you are planning to plant. You may use your hands as well.
Make a Cup of Tea
We are kidding, well not entirely. Add the castings to water and molasses then spray on both the plans and the soil.
In the end, it all depends on your goal. If your goal is to speed up germination, then worm casting will definitely give you a boost. If you have been trying to get your soil to grow plants for long without any hope, worm casting will help revive the soil. If you are anti-chemicals, and you have been searching for an alternative to all the chemically loaded fertilizers that you are bombarded with out there, stop searching, the solution is finally here!
Dallas Dorrall is passionate about music and is living her dream managing and promoting Nashville/Muscle Shoals based Country Music Artist, Johnny Collier, currently touring the US. While traveling, she enjoys reviewing new artists, restaurants and nightclubs. Dallas is crazy about her family and friends and attributes her enthusiasm for life to a quote by Marianne Williamson (which she still reads every day) entitled “Our Deepest Fear”.