Working out at home offers unique benefits that you may not have considered. While you may not be able to access a wide range of free weights and bodybuilding machines available at a gym, you can still work on sculpting your ideal body.
Besides the benefits of not paying outrageous fees, you will also enjoy the convenience of working out whenever you like. You won’t have to rush to a gym in the early hours of the morning or drive to one after work.
When you create a dedicated space in your home to work out, say a basement or a spare room, you can exercise when you wake up in the morning, before bed, after work, or while watching TV.
Here are a few tips on how to get the most from your home workouts.
Choosing Workout Equipment
After the outbreak of the pandemic last year, the home gym industry gained more traction. People discovered an affordable and efficient way to get in shape without venturing out to a crowded fitness center..
You will not need to spend a small fortune on gear. In fact, all you need are barbells, dumbbells, and a few weight plates.
When buying barbells, it’s a good idea to invest in a 45 lb Olympic bar because it will allow you to do squats and deadlifts. Working out the lower part of your body stimulates your metabolism because the thighs are the biggest muscle group in the body. Targeting your quads and hamstrings will help you reach your weight management goals.
If you have enough space, you can also buy a weight bench for seated or lying exercises and a squat rack. If you don’t have enough space, you can still get a good chest, shoulder, biceps, and triceps workout with calisthenics, such as an elevated push-up bar to place on your yoga mat and a pull-up bar to hang over the door frame
You will not need a lot of weight plates for your barbell and dumbbell when you start. Just get enough to challenge you. Later, when you get stronger, you can always buy more.
Designing Your Workout Routine
Next, you’ll need a good fitness program. Fortunately, it’s easy to get new ideas to create your own routine. If you don’t want to design your own, you can download a workout app or subscribe to a video-based health-and-fitness program.
Instagram is also a great place to find exercise plans. You can create an Instagram folder for saving your workouts. Creating a folder will make it easy to find your favorite routines when you need them.
Achieving Your Fitness Goals
Here are five golden rules to achieve your fitness goals to burn fat and build muscle (or improve muscle tone).
- Develop a positive mindset: Believe in your ability to succeed in achieving your fitness goals.
- Warm-up properly: Stretching and jumping on a rebounder before your workouts can prevent injuries.
- Monitor your progress: Weigh yourself. Measure your neck, chest, arms, waist, thighs, and calves. Also, record the number of sets and reps you did and the amount of weight you used during every workout. Review your progress at the start of every month.
- Drink lots of water: You should quench your thirst during your workout and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Follow a healthy eating plan: Staying fit also includes getting the right amount of macronutrients and micronutrients from healthy whole foods. Read books on nutrition for athletes or get a few educational videos on the subject.
Improving Your Workouts
When you work out at home, you’ll learn a surprising number of things to improve the quality and effectiveness of your routines. You may want to switch up your exercises every few months to keep things interesting.
Updated on February 22, 2022.