Homemade Trail Mix and Refreshing Smoothies
Trail Mix Recipe:
1 cup of unsalted raw pecans (broken into smaller pieces)
¼ cup of unsalted raw or toasted pumpkin seeds
2 slices dried pineapple hand torn
1 cup of raw and unsalted cashews
¼ cup of raisins
¼ cup of dark chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 400 and place Pecans on cookie sheet.
2) Roast (if you purchased the raw kind) Pumpkin seeds for 3-5 minutes. When cooking both Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds at the same time, rotate pan for even roasting or place them on the same cookie sheet. Check on them after a few minutes and be careful not to burn.
3) While nuts and seeds are roasting in oven, place all other ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well with hands.
4) When done, put hot Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds from cookie sheet iinto the bowl with other ingredients and mix up well to spread chocolate throughout the mix. Be prepared for chocolate covered hands.
5) Place bowl in refrigerator so chocolate hardens. Check after 15 minutes or so to see if bowl is chilled and if trail mix creates a cluster.
6) Store in a plastic container (at room temperature) or zip loc baggy.
- To shorten process, wait about 5 minutes or so till nuts and seeds are cool and add to the rest of the trail mix ingredients.
- To save time, buy toasted, unsalted pecans and pumpkin seed (if available).
- This Trail mix can last you all week and great for sharing and eating for a pre and post workout boast.
- Replace any of the above ingredients with golden raisins, toasted unsalted almonds, peanuts, chocolate covered Espresso Beans (more energy boast) or chocolate covered almonds.
⅓ cup of vanilla non-fat yogurt,
2/3 cup of vanilla non-fat frozen yogurt
3-4 big strawberries,
3 chunks of mango (1″ long slice)
⅛ cup of blueberries fresh or frozen
¼ of cup of unsweetened Almond Milk
1 TB of Coconut Water
½ tsp of honey
Place all items in blender and mix till smooth and desired consistency.
- Serves 1-2
- Can replace plain unsweetened Almond Milk for Vanilla unsweetened Almond Milk
- Use soft overripe mangos
- Try papaya instead of mangos
- Try ½ large bananas or 1 small banana instead of mangos
- Can use low fat version of Vanilla Yogurt
- Add protein (whey) powder for a protein boost for post workout
- Mix and Match favorite fruit
- No need to add ice…this drink will be plenty refreshing and cold
- Don’t use orange juice…creates a weird taste
- Use leftover Coconut water as a natural way to hydrate instead of Sugary Power drinks
A Cooking Web-Series on Quick, Simple, and Healthy Meals (1-3 minutes long): www.cookinggurutv.com
Food Guru features food in and out of the home with original web-based videos (stories, recipes, product, and more) photos, and blog posts.