On the surface, golf looks like an easy sport to play. How hard can it be to swing a ball? Turns out harder than you think. Many factors contribute to an enjoyable golfing experience. As a beginner, a priority is equipment.
Here are some top 3 golf irons designed with beginners in mind. But before that:
How do you know what to look out for?
Knowing how to choose the right golf iron is an important aspect of your beginner journey. According to golf news, analysis, and opinion platform, a golfer is only as good as his equipment. Here’s what to look out for:
- The head design. Because bigger cavities are more forgiving and tend to launch the ball higher as opposed to compact heads hit less of a distance but are more workable, you have to match the head shape to your striking ability.
- Get custom-fitted. Your set should match your swings instead of you trying to change your swing to suit your irons. There’s no industry standard, so it’s recommended that you hit some shots on a lie board using sole and impact tape under the supervision of a PGA Pro, to adjust accordingly.
- Offset is the distance between the leading edge and the front edge of the hosel. The larger the game improvement irons the better. Because that way you’re encouraged to position your hands more forward at address and gives the clubface extra time to rotate around to square at impact.
- Forged or cast? The majority of irons on the market are cast, and while they tend to be larger and offer more distance as well as a firmer feel, forged irons have a softer feel and greater consistency if also more expensive.
- Steel or graphite? The main difference between steel and graphite shafts is the weight. Although graphite shafts are lighter, which can mean you’ll swing the club faster, they are more expensive and can be less durable than steel ones.
Now onto the 3 best golf irons for beginners in 2021.
Cleveland Golf 2018 Men’s Launcher CBX Iron Set
In 2021, the best irons are designed with the most innovative technologies. The Cleveland Golf 2018 Men’s Launcher CBX Iron Set is no exception.
The manufacturers of this iron set exclusively developed the Feel Balancing Technology which works by intensifying the club’s feel, thus aiding in iron control.
Other practical advantages, especially for a beginner includes;
- It has structures comparable to tour zip grooves that prevent any dirt or soil from getting stuck to the iron.
- It’s designed in a way that allows ease in your swings.
- It has a milled exterior that means that there’s control over your strokes, swings, and the ball.
Mizuno 2018 MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Iron Set
The Mizuno 2018 MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Iron Set was designed by its manufacturers using multi-material construction (MMC), which means that only some of the best quality materials were used in its assembling. High-quality metals like carbon steel, titanium, and tungsten combine to make this a maximum performance iron set while still maintaining forgiveness in the iron, perfect for beginners.
The features are not just aesthetically pleasing but additionally:
- It features unique Harmonic Impact technology which works by improving the iron’s orientation and reducing vibrations that lets you feel each swing deeply.
- This iron is able to provide a consistent height and distance to the ball with each swing so that it’s an excellent choice for beginners who are learning to hit uniform shots.
- The iron is a hollow cavity iron. This is great for beginners because there’s a wider sweet spot and greater distance in the air.
Wilson Golf Profile SGI Men’s Complete Golf Set
Are you looking to buy all your golf tools at once? Then consider the Wilson Golf Profile SGI Men’s Complete Golf Set. This set not only has one of the most economical and high-quality golf irons out there, but it’s also a set that comes with a full-on golf set included too.
Admittedly, these golf irons are smaller than most other irons in the market, but they make up for it by having a longer No. 5 Fairway wood. Plus the smaller size makes it more forgiving and prevents mishits.
Here’s why it’s good for you as a beginner:
- The stainless steel iron means that there’s longevity, making it perfect for practicing your imperfect and hard hits at the beginning because it can take it.
- It has a perimeter weighting feature. What this means is that the golf club’s weight is concentrated at the clubs’ edges rather than the center so that it’s more forgiveness for a richer golfing experience.
- The weighted face improves the accuracy of any mistimed shots.
When choosing golf irons as a beginner, important considerations include technology that makes the iron forgiving, a weighted face, the material, and a host of other things.